From:
Chuck Bearden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 12:00:33 -0500
On Wed, 20 May 1998, Ron Bain wrote:

> I have a 486 and want to upgrade by transferring my present hardware to
> a bare bones system that I plan to put together.
>
> I have narrowed my search to 3 motherboards to be used with a AMD K6
> listed in the order of preference:
>     1.  Abit TX5 (because of Tom's Hardware Guide recommendation) at
> $139;
>     2.  ASUS TX97-VV (because of on board sound and video) at $239;
>     3.  Iwill P55xb2 (becasuse of a PC Club recommendation) at $119.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions (and warnings).
>
> Thanks.
>

> Ron

I recently (ca. 3-4 months ago) built my very first system using the
FIC PA-2007 board (VIA VP2 "Apollo" chipset, 1MB L-2 cache) with an
AMD K6 233/MMX and have been very pleased.  I'm not speed freak, so I
haven't gone into overclocking.  You should be able to get this one
for at or under the price of the Abit TX5.

But perhaps you are considering only ATX form factor?  PA-2007 is an
AT.

Chuck Bearden
Network Services Librarian
Houston Public Library