Date:
Sun, 17 May 1998 09:49:30 +0100
Hello,

When a machine freezes up after a 1/2 hour of CPU-intensive (floating
point?) work and then won't immediately reboot, but reboots after being
turned off for awhile, I would wager a bet that the cooling fan on the
CPU (assuming one was installed) is dead and your computer is dying of
heat stroke.

You will need to open the case and look for the CPU chip. If it is
visible without a heat sink and/or cooling fan or if the cooling fan is
not turning I would go to my nearest computer dealer and buy a GOOD 2
ball-bearing fan with large aluminum heat sink (make sure it is for a
486, not for a Pentium) and put it on. Before buckling the system up I
would turn it on and make sure the new fan is turning. You might also
vacuum out dust while you have the box opened, and also make sure that
any other fans in the case and power supply are working and not blocked
by dust and grime. Also clean the air intake/outlet vents in front
and/or back of the case.

Heat can be a killer (literally) for a 486/66 and above and I would not
use the system without checking into this.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Bruce

--
        Bruce Boschek - Haus Christiansruh - Nidda, Germany
[log in to unmask] - CompuServe ID 100331,2566