From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 May 1998 16:29:31 +0100
>On Fri, 8 May 1998 Monica Veith <[log in to unmask]>
>enquired (edited)
>I have a P166 MMX and 32 MB ram 2.1 GB Samsung HD partitioned 1+1
>around 130 MB free on C: drive and 300 MB free on D:
>
>Which to upgrade, HD or ram, so that the computer works faster?

Works faster doing what, exactly?  (It matters.)
I assume you need all that hardware to run a multi-tasking OS
(a gamer would have boasted about the video card)
and since you find it slow it's Win95. Tadaa! ;-)

I think it's not the slightly faster processor but the SCSI HD
on my Dell Latitude XPi P133 that makes so it much more
delightful than my college workstations.

So move Win95 and any intensively-used files to a SCSI drive
on a PCI bus host adapter, the faster the better.
You don't _have_ to boot from it, but make sure
our Win95 virtual mamory is on it.

Read Gary Field's SCSI pages...
http://www.ultranet.com/~gfield/gary/scsi.html

...including the comp.periphs.scsi FAQ...
http://www.ultranet.com/~gfield/gary/scsifaq.html

...and _in particular_ the following discussions...

http://www.ultranet.com/~gfield/gary/scsifaq.html#_Hlk407004722
   What are the pros and cons regarding SCSI vs IDE/ATA?

http://www.ultranet.com/~gfield/gary/scsifaq.html#_Hlk407091459
   Should I spend the extra money on SCSI or just get IDE?

http://www.ultranet.com/~gfield/gary/scsifaq.html#_Hlk407091508
   Can I have both IDE/ATA drives and SCSI in the same system?

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> WWW Pager http://wwp.mirabilis.com/10120933