From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 21:58:01 -0400
James wrote:
>I would like some response on how much heat the PII 400 puts out...

According to the highly regarded German magazine "c't", the processor core
of the Deschutes (the new 333 mhz and up PII processors) is not manufactured
in .35 micron technology like that of the Klamath (300 mhz and under) PIIs,
but in the more refined .25 micron process. (Finer structures allow the
processor to run at lower VCore voltages, down from the old 2.8 volts to 2.0
Volts.) Since power depends on voltage, this results in a lower power usage
and therefore reduced heat generation.

The difference is enormous: While the old Pentium II of the 'Klamath
type' uses 32 Watts at a clock frequency of 300 MHz, the power consumption
of 'Deschutes' stays at just 14 Watts at 300 MHz (and a little more than 15
Watts at 333 MHz).

Since going from 300 MHZ to 333 MHZ appeares to generate a linear increase
in power consumption, I would extrapolate this to a figure of less than 20
watts at 400 MHZ. This is much less than the 32 watts generated by the old
300 MHZ Klamath Pentium II.

Regards,
Bill