NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amanda H Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 15:13:44 -0700
On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Heidi Schwartz wrote:

> Two quick questions: is it true that people who suffer from lactose
> intolerance can eat things made with goat's milk (such as goat's milk
> cheese)?

No.  If you are lactose intolerant, you are lacking lactase, the enzyme
which digests lactose.  Lactose is lactose.  It doesn't matter where the
lactase came from.  You still need lactase to digest it.

> Second, is it true that some people who suffer from lactose intolerance
> actually lose this intolerance after a period of time?

I have never heard this.  As far as I know, most people who are lactose
intolerant (myself included) find that the symptoms become more severe as
they get older.  In most people (lactose intolerant or not) the production
of the lactase enzyme decreases with age.  For those of us who are already
lactose intolerant, this further reduction in lactase production results
in more severe reactions.

Amanda Ackerman