NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:30:41 -0500
>Then you just need to know how to stuff it and baste it. Go with a
>dairy-free stuffing, prepared with dairy-free margarine (if you use a
>butter replacement at all).

I've used just oil in stuffing for years, I find it works just as well,
if not better, than butter/margarine -- stuffing seems moister.

>Baste the old fashioned way - with a baster and the turkey's own juices, or

I've never done it any other way, e.g. I've never gotten a self-basting
bird...

What I DO do is decidedly NOT kosher -- 'lard' the bird with bacon....
the bacon basically turns the bird into a self baster, but I still use a
baster and occasionally drench the bird in it's own juices...I usually
have to refresh the bacon halfway thru, as the first batch gets crisp...

Makes for a very moist bird, with a slightly smokey flavor....]

June

                        revcoal AT connix DOT com