NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
psam ordener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 17:35:13 -0800
Laura wrote:

Oh but my father's
family!  Even though they have allergies, they choose to ignore the
symtoms
and think I'm too restrictive for limiting my daugther's and my diet.
 Go
figure!  Has anyone discovered a tactful way of dealing with
non-believing
relatives?

---------------
Well, this isn't tactful, but my MIL didn't really believe in my
son's milk allergy
when he was a baby.  We went out to eat and she fed him some fried
chicken
("but I pulled the breading off,"  she said).  Within minutes he was
wheezing,
turning blue and throwing up.  I put him in her lap while I gave him
the epinephrine
shot and let him throw up on her.  All the way home she said, over
and over, "There
couldn't have been that much milk on that chicken!"  And I'd say,
"That's right!  That's
what I'm tellling you!  It doesn't take very much at all to kill
him!"

Now he's 9 years old, and she just tells me to buy food for him when
we go to visit.
She makes wonderful cookies, but she won't use shortening, so he
can't eat them.
She bakes wonderful pies, but she won't use shortening, so he can't
eat them.  One
Christmas he didn't even get to eat the turkey because I caught her
basting it with
pourable Parkay!  His Christmas dinner was cranberry sauce, green
beans (thank God for
bacon grease), and crackers.   He is a little resentful now that
Grandma isn't more
concerned with her first (and favorite) grandchild.

psam