BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 10 May 1998 19:19:03 +0000
Silliness on BP

The owners of the list on Mt. Olympus have been having a conversation
regarding
the serious:silliness ratio on BP and if there is anything that should
be done
to amend the current policy of mayhem, puns, bad poems, irreverence,
irrelevance, and irrationality. It was bad enough having to deal with
spelling,
now we have to deal with seriousness. I started out this message as a
reply to
the owners, but we are all owners in the virtual landscape of
Bullamanka...

I see the silliness on BP as having a great deal to do with our human
need to
exercise our freedom of intellectual creativity without the oppression
of
narrow mindedness. We need to be able to draw outside the lines and with
strange color combinations, including efflorescence. To stop being silly
would
be dishonest. The world has silly as well as serious, and to deny this
is a
distortion. When I get together with my siblings at a kitchen table
there is
everything silly, we never stop making each other laugh, and we are most
deadly
serious in our bond. Yet, at a friend's wedding he wanted me to speak,
but his
bride understandably did not for fear I could not ever be serious. So I
showed
the assembled what serious can be, I staid up most of the night
rewriting the
passage in the King James Bible they had given me to read so that I
could
understand what I was being asked to say - I look like Captain Kirk with
tough wedgy in the wedding photo. I was brought up to be silly and I
consider
it the most serious thing I can do to sustain freedom - to be silly.
After all
is said and done silliness is what I can the best give of myself,
without
reservation. Silliness is a revealing of our vulnerabilities and
strengths. I
see the world as both silly and serious, in the same frame, and believe
that an
honest perception balances both qualities. Those who deny their
silliness I
believe are dishonest with themselves, possibly it is an hormonal
illness
(Viagrin :), or worse, a chromosomal defect, and they need our
forgiveness. If
you are not comfortable enough with yourself to be silly, for fear that
you may
be silly once and then find yourself forever locked in an insanity of
silliness, fear not, we all return to the dullness of the most proper
and
serious in due time. It is not like a bobber on the lake waiting for a
perch to
pull you under, it is more like a bobber without a line or hook adrift
with the
wind. Humans are not fully objective rational beings in a
mechanistic/digital
landscape (otherwise Soviet communism would have worked), and we need to
laugh
and gas off  to compensate.

Talk about gassing off, I Saw _Deep Impact_ Friday night, all thumbs
down,
catch it on video when you're half asleep, it will put you fully to
sleep,
though there is a neat 1000' foot high wave at the end when the comet
sort-of
strikes. Unfortunately, I was distracted for most of the movie because
the
pouting actress looks like she spent her childhood opening Budweiser
bottles
with her mouth. She must have chewed the bottle necks as well to get
such a
deep raspy voice. What I want to know is what happened to the dirt bike?
--
][<en Follett
SOS Gab & Eti -- http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/5836