VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Malyszka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Malyszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 22:42:46 +0000
I replied offlist to the original poster, and after reading the helpful
suggestion quoted below, thought that I could lend a some supplemental
information that might give a different direction to solving the problem.
Here is what I sent...

Hi there Karyl,

Well, I'm visually impaired and have been a Mac user since 1986 as well as
an assistive technology consultant. Um, you are asking two questions. One
is how does a user access the screen if they are blind and the other is how
does a user control a Mac without a mouse.

If the user is totally blind, then there is only one real product. This is
outSpoken from Alva. Look at this web page for more information:

<http://www.aagi.com/aagi/osw09.html>

This program is a little expensive but provides screen reading through
speech and also keyboard control of the mouse. I've used the program for
about 10 years and it works pretty well with simple programs like word
processors and web pages. It also works with the most recent Mac operating
system.

Now, if the user only needs keyboard control and can see the screen with
magnification or with CloseView (which is a screen magnfication program
included with the MacOS), then Easy Access is a control panel. Easy Access
lets the user move and click the mouse with the number pad to the right of
the keyboard.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more help...

...b