VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Zielinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 1998 11:53:25 -0500
Arlene,

        As I understand it, you are close to the right idea.  All your
incoming mail comes into the inbox folder.  What you need to do is choose
to save a particular message you view to a specific folder of your choice.
For example, when reading a vicug-l message hit the "s" key and pine will
prompt you to save a message, defaulting to saved-messages, if that is
enabled in your setup of pine.  Don't hit enter here, rather type vicug,
for example.  Then hit enter.  Your message that you are looking at will
be saved to the vicug folder.  If the vicug folder doesn't exist, then
pine prompts you to create it.  If you have pine set up a certain way,
everytime you hit "s" to save another message, it will default to the last
folder you saved to.  Just type a new name to save to another folder.
When the message has been saved, the copy in inbox will be marked for
deletion.  If you have Pine set up a certain way, Pine will them display
the next unread message, otherwise you need to press a key to move to the
setup in Main menu, hit C for configuring Pine from Main Menu

        To view your messages in different folders, use the "g" key, go to
key.  Type in the name of the folder you want to view and hit enter, or,
hit control t to go to a folders list.  Cursor your way through the list
and hit enter on the one you want to view.  When done viewing a different
folders contents, hit "g" again to go back to inbox. Keep in mind with
Unix that you can name files, with as long a name as you want.  So you
can have meaningful folder names.  A folder, afterall, is nothing more
than a mail program readable file.  Also be aware that capital letters
are unique in Unix, that is, Vicug is a different file than vicug or
VICUG or vICug, etc.  You get the point.  <g>.

        When you create a message or reply to one, you can fill in the
FCC: header line with a folder name.  When you send that message, a copy
will be placed in that particular folder.  Some like this option of pine
for outgoing mail.   To display the Fcc: header line, and other rich
header lines, use the control r key while your cursor is in the header area.

Hope this helps.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to e-mail me
privately.

Steve

On Thu, 28 May 1998, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> As I surf the internet more and more, there are things I didn't care about
> at the beginning that I care about now.  I now want to learn about using
> folders in Pine.  I am thinking that if you develop a folder for each of
> your mailing list Pine will place the messages you receive each day in the
> appropriate folder.  Is this correct or am I asking too much.  Thanks.

|  Steve Zielinski  (N8UJS)  |