From:
Paul Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 15:05:21 -0400
At 11:29 AM 4/7/98 -0600, you wrote:
>A client reinserted a AMD Dx4-120 cpu possibly the wrong
> direction in the motherboard slot. Now the machine won't
> even boot.
>    Would inserting the chip the wrong way neccessarily
>  fry the chip?
>   I don't think he's going to find a new
> AMD DX4-120 maybe a Intel DX4-100.
> Anyone know where to get a new/used.
> I know pentium is the way to go, but $$ is the deciding factor.

I have seen an Intel 486DX2-66 inserted the wrong direction.  The power
supply would not even start.  Reinserted the CPU, and everything worked
normally.  I thought that since there are many ground and 5V pins on the
CPU, they may be oriented in such a way that they short and shut down the
PS before any damage can be done.  We didn't try turning the chip in the
other two directions to test our theory though.  :)

Paul Jones
http://www.mindspring.com/~jpjcet