From:
"T. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 15:47:30 -0700
Wade Reeser wrote:
> >> A purely animal flesh diet provides all the necessary vitamins and minerals
> >> for a long and healthy life.  Period.
> >
> >This is an outlandish statement that does not fit our basic knowledge of
> >diet, nutrition, and health.
>
> Are you aware of Steffanson's one year trial of eating nothing but meat?  He
> remained in good health the entire year.  Reportedly he ate a mostly meat
> diet for the remainder of his life.  When I say 'meat' I am generally
> referring to all animal flesh i.e. muscle and organ.  However, I believe
> that Steffanson ate only muscle meat for the year and showed no deficiencies.

Perhaps the poster was perturbed at how categorical your statement was. A more
conservative statement might be that "it is *possible* to obtain all the
necessary vitamins and minerals for a long and healthy life from an all-meat
diet". And, although you never say otherwise, your statement only addresses the
issue of micronutrients. One might object to modern attempts at an all-meat
diet on the basis of carcinogenicity, or because, for some people, indicators
of CHD seem not to respond favorably to all-meat diets.