From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 19:21:57 -0500
Mary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My daughter is bright in math but incredibly dyslexic in
>spelling/writing/reading.

>I am wondering if the paleo diet would help with dyslexia/other learning
>disabilities?

From my files (maybe two years old?):

The "underground therapists" in the UK have for years been advocating
gluten-free and casein-free diets as well as elimination of the phenolic
containing substances as a therapy for dyslexia. The researchers in the UK
have only recently become aware of this. In their tests for a gluten
problem they have a 100% hit rate (17 of 17). The publication of this study
is technically "in press" and awaiting reports from the reviewers. A video
on this is available in the UK. I presume it was produced by the
"underground therapists".

Okay Mary. You know the researcher mentioned above. It is Paul Shattock. He
once offered to send me a copy of the video, but then he seems to have
changed his mind. I would have no problem converting a tape from PAL to our
format.

> My strategy is to take her to the alternative doc where my autistic son
>goes and get a urine metabolite test.

I suggest sending the urine of all family members to Dr. Cade in Florida,
and serum samples to Alletess for gluten and casein antibody testing. Do
the same testing as done for an autist. Susan Owens sent her urine to Paul
for testing. You could also do that.

Don.