From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:20:24 -0500
On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Mary wrote:

> Wouldn't you say most people should be off of gluten products? Is there
> anyone who "should' be on them? Does it stress everyone's immune system?
> What about dairy? Is it good for some people??
>
> I just get so much denial on this one from friends/family!

If there is anything to the "blood type" theory put forward by
D'Adamo, then people with blood types B and AB are reasonably
well adapted to many grain and dairy foods.  Of course, these two
groups together account for only about 15% of the population, I
think.

Although I fervently wish there were more information of a
clinical nature in support of the blood type theory, there is at
least some initial plausibility to it, since types B and AB are
the most recent, showing up only in agricultural times.  Remember
that the base premise of the theory is the same as that of
Neanderthin, that the body's response to foreign proteins is what
causes mischief.  They only differ about what counts as foreign
proteins.

But it should be sufficient to note that at least some people
*thrive* on foods that are utterly non-paleo.  The Japanese are
the longest-lived people in the world, and they eat plenty of
rice and noodles made from flour.  The Mediterranean Diet makes
liberal use of cheese and breads, but many people do very well on
it. Clearly *some* people tolerate these foods very well--the
trick is in knowing who will and who won't.  I have a suspicion
that they blood type theory won't give us the complete answer to
this question, but I am still wondering whether it might move us
in that direction.

Todd Moody