From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:31:59 -0500
A question to maybe support Todd's statement:  does anyone know of anyone
getting gout from eating this way (i.e., paleo), or are all of the cases of
gout "caused by high protein" in people who are eating the standard
American diet (SAD)?  If it's the latter, again, the "evidence" is useless.
 It is wrong to assume that something that happens to people who eat the
SAD will happen to people who are eating a more natural diet such as this.
 I know I jump in and say this every so often, but it bears repeating:  the
studies and medical reports on dietary influences on the body simply don't
apply here, at least not until research has been done on people who eat
this way.  Then, and only then, will I believe that "X" causes "Y".  And
then only if the folks who do the study aren't funded by a special interest
group who would benefit from a particular finding.

Take care,
John Pavao

Again, to my knowledge there is no evidence showing that people
who eat more protein are more likely to have gout.  It may be
that people who do have gout cannot tolerate much protein, but
that's another matter.