From:
"Paul F. Getty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 20:52:23 -0500
>The question I have is when I had been on the diet 6 days I started getting
>really bad mouth ulcers, has anyone else had this problem?
>is it a lack of something? or is it the candida virus not having sugar or
>yeast to feed on coming to the surface...my mouth? (Yuk!) As far as I know
>I don't have candida as I don't get cold sores (herpes) and that's usually
>a good sign that you have it in your system.
>I treated them with antiseptic mouth wash and they are going away now but I
>don't like the thought of them returning. Can anybody please help!

Heather, I'm sure you don't have candida.  I'm a dentist and unless you are
wearing dentures or are taking certain medicines or suffering from a
disease, candida is very unlikely.  You probably have apthus ulcers.  These
are linked to viruses that live in your nerve cells, having gotten there
when you were young and you had an outbreak of that herpes type virus.
They live in the nerve cells for the rest of your life, not usually causing
problem, but they can become active if stimulated with chemical or physical
trauma, which could be as insignificant as eating a certain food or biting
your lip, and also from nervous stress.  Sometimes they seem to be linked
to transitory stomach problems, which may have come from a quick change to
the Paleodiet.  Ulcers are related to fever blisters and remain about two
weeks, but are usually very painful for just a few days.  There are mouth
rinses that can help, like Duke's Magic Mouthwash (you need an Rx), but
nothing cures or heals them.  Your body will reactivate it's immune system
against the virus.  Sometimes before the outbreak you can feel slightly
feverish, as in other viruses.  If you frequently get these, L-lysine has
been found to decrease the incidence;  you take one tablet a day, and can
be bought at the grocery store.

Hope you are feeling better.

Paul Getty
Morehead City, NC