From:
"Paul F. Getty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 20:11:59 -0500
>I admit, but I am sure that many paleo-dieters nevertheless eat less
vegetables
>than our ancestors. The fact that we get less fibre doesn't necessarily mean
>that we lack fiber, perhaps our ancestors ate more fiber than necessary.
FWIW,
>you don't need enormous amounts of vegetables to have a good intestinal
transit
>(but I am saying this mainly because I don't like the idea that we need
>supplements to be healthy).

I would presume that if we ate like our ancestors, we would not need
supplements.  But we don't eat like them.  Our meats are mostly cooked,
vegetables and fruits are nothing like those that they would have eaten.
It seems that if they were eating much more fiber than us, we may be
missing out on something.  If our lipids are out of wack  and fiber
supplements help, and we are not getting as much fiber as our ancestors,
then supplements bring us closer to our ancestral diet.