NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Margie Preston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:54:53 -0500
This is from the October '98 issue of Better Homes and Gardens, an
article entitled "Estrogen Q & A" on estrogen replacement therapy
(typically a dose of .625 mg daily, far less than is found in a
low-dose birth control pill).

Q: Can some foods replace a prescription for estrogen?

A: Some studies speculate that phyto-estrogens, fond in foods such as
   beans, tofu, and peas, could be the reason women in Japan seldom
   suffer hot flashes.  They eat much more soy in their daily diet.
   In the US, to get enough phyto-estrogens to reap any benefits, you
   would have to eat 22 servings of tofu a day or drink 64 ounces of
   soy milk, says Dr. Nachtigall [ob-gyn professor at NYU].  "We don't
   tend to eat that way," he says.

I don't know how much soy milk would be found in a cup of soy formula.

Margie Preston