CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fred Welfare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 23:34:42 EDT
In a message dated 7/28/2000 1:39:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> This below is interesting.  I do believe that the police are mainly
>  responding
>  to the power of the wealthy (though of course not on a day to day basis).
>
>  It is clear the the corporate media generally speaking rationalize
>   even the most outrageous police crimes.  For instance
>  in LA several police are being indicted for the murder of one innocent
>  person, and the wounding of several others.  But we have here a particular
>  ripe
>  example of class warfare; the LA Times notes with approval that
>  the charge is a misdemeanor (sic).
>
>  I don't think we deal here with rogue police.  They generally are doing
>  the job set for them , occupying districts peopled by those of incorrect
>  class.

Should we say the same thing then for teachers, doctors, etc., when the
statistics
indicate that it is 'worse' in certain class contexts?  The issue of class is
far deeper than merely claiming that one group is 'working for' the rich.  I
hardly believe that!!
The police in these instances are following through on their ideological
beliefs.

V.