CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 20:08:26 +1000
Issodhos @aol.com wrote:

>However, when the death penalty issue is used as
>political cannon fodder to advance a political agenda, "mainstream"
>Americans recognize it as such and turn their backs on further discussion.

Jesus! That is the weakest argument I've heard for a very long time.

If Americans are so so smart, how come they don't recognise that the death
penalty is also political cannon fodder for the *supporters* of the death
penalty?

And even if they are so blinkered as to only be able to see the political
motives of those who oppose capital punishment, why would Americans be so
immoral and stupid as to punish the poor bastards who are being used as
political cannon fodder, instead of those who are using them as
cannon-fodder?

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

What would make sense would be to deprive the "exploiters of the death
penalty" (not to mention the supporters of the death penalty) of their
political ammunition, so to speak. Instead "mainstream" Americans seem to
support giving both sides more and more flesh and blood ammunition.

I thought *I* had a dim view of Americans, but you make me look positively
flattering!

Bill Bartlett
Bracknell Tas