CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:05:54 EDT

     You have to realize that SO many things are involved in controlling
blood sugar levels! Not only food and exercise, medications, but emotions
and stress; something most of use don't have much control over at times.
The biggest frustration I find is that there is no set cause and effect
for myself. I can do water aerobics and end up with a blood sugar reading
of 59 afterwards and the next day, having done nothing different, have a
200 reading! I accept that and work around it. It's a constant balancing
act and we just have to realize that and move on with our lives.

     I personally find Humalog a wonder drug for me (type 1 diabetic).It
handles the highs wonderfully. The only thing I could suggest for a
non-insulin dependent diabetic with high readings would be adjustment of
medication/diet or exercise. I know it's not simple. Sometimes high
readings will go UP after exercise, although the ideal is that they lower
after exercise. We must just keep plodding along, sharing our concerns
and "venting".

     As an aside, I was scheduled for some tests by my
gastroenterologist; one possible radiology test of a cookie-coated barium
swallow . I had to remind him I couldn't eat their cookie, so he said to
bring my own! We always have to be self-advocates and make sure our best
interests are taken care of. NEVER feel hesitant about sharing your
thoughts with your professional medical staff. They are there to support
YOU! They must know what's going on to make a valid judgement to correct
a problem. If you are not happy with your medical staff and feel they are
not right FOR YOU, seek others! Not everyone fits comfortably with each
other, even if they have the best medical reputation. Personalities do
play a part and you must feel comfortable with your staff.

     I sympathize with children who have celiac and diabetes, as I know
how difficult it is to handle as an adult. I give lots of credit to the
parents who have the responsibiltiy of helping their children. Just hang
in there and try to remain positive. Think of the rewards of life! The
effort is worth it.

     Best wishes to all.

Lynn