BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"J.A. Drew DIAZ" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 09:58:01 -0400
Have read a little about supermarket lay out & though it is
a science as taught it is an art as practiced.
Also spent a bit of time analyzing why I was so in love w/
the check out women in my youth, after I left home- but that
was just a Freudian slam-dunk.

Few years ago I did get to spend a fair amount of time w/
Jack Cohen founder of the Duane Reade Drugstore chain here
in NYC. Jack & his brother are credited by some with ripping
the guts out of the Sunday " Blue Laws" & as pioneers in the
larger discount drug super stores.

Jack had a whole theory about aging stores- finished a brand
spanking new 15,000 Sf store for him in Brooklyn & before
opening he & I walked a reverse punch list taking lenses off
of light fixtures, popping off a few sprinkler caps- He was
of the opinion that if the store was too clean people
wouldn't feel they were getting a deal.

The first store I did for Duane Reade was at the Port
Authority Bus terminal & he specifically told me not to
protect the new VCT floor during casework installation for
the same aging reasons.

DD