BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sbmarcus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Telepathic chickenf leave no tracef. Turkey lurky goo-bye!
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 19:29:25 -0400
----------
.

> Agreed about everything except Whyte's responsibility.  His work has to
do
> with behavior in urban plazas and subway stations and the like.  The
> principles of supermarket layout were surely developed long before "The
> Social Life of Small Urban Spaces" was published in 1980.

 You are certainly right about supermarket layout, but the article I
referred to and others I've read were discussing refinements in the
contemporary efforts in that field. There are apparently consultants who
will tell you, for instance, exactly where to place every item in a Mall
clothing store to maximize sales, and they claim that their methodology is
greatly indebted to Whyte, who, I am sure, would not be entirely thrilled
if he knew (If memory serves he is no longer around?).

Bruce