Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 12:06:38 +0100
I've been fixing someone's SCSI reconfiguration
on a 486DX33 8MB / MSDOS 6.22 / Win3.11 with
a Sound Blaster PnP installed and working.

It used to support a scanner using an Adaptec AHA-1510 but
now has only an internal HP4020i CD-R. The SCSI bus is correctly
wired and terminated and I got it all working but not with
the _same_ version levels of ASPI manager and ASPICD driver.

Now read the details and tell me if I have a residual problem
I should fix (and how), or can I just leave it as it is?...

I was called in because the CD-R wouldn't work. I found
ASPI2DOS.SYS ASPI manager and EZ-CD CD-R utility already loaded
but CD-R not working because no device driver (ASPICD.SYS)
or ASPI for Windows (VASPID.386 and WINASPI.DLL).

I installed EZ-SCSI v1.0 (supplied with the Adaptec HA)

I checked the old and new versions of config and autoexec
and tidied up slightly, then tested the CD-R and it worked,
though it did give a lot of "not ready" messages.

I found EZ-CD writes ok but no multi-session displayed in
File Manager because EZ-SCSI v4.0 is required to support that.

I downloaded v4.02 driver update from Adaptec site, expanded,
copied in v4.02 ASPI2DOS.SYS and ASPICD.SYS from it
(there's no VASPID.386 or WINASPI.DLL)

Now multi-sessions displayed as folders in File Manager, but
Windows gave a conflict message for the Sound Blaster drivers
and didn't load them.

I copied back ASPI2DOS.SYS v1.0 and everything worked fine!
(Not even "not ready" messages, but as a precaution I later
added the SMARTDRV /E:2048 parameter as recommended
in EZ-SCSI v3 readme.)

*** Is it ok to use ASPI2DOS v1 with ASPICD v4.02,
*** or am I storing up trouble for myself?

I have tried to locate the conflict that prevents SB PnP working
 with ASPI2DOS v4.02 without success...

- I've delved with MSD and the CMTU(?) PnP utility
  and I can't see an I/O address or IRQ conflict;
- SB PnP configuration manager CTCM(?) reports it has set up correctly,
- AHA-1510 was at default /P340 /Q11 and is no better at /P140;
- moving the SB CTCM line after ASPI2DOS in CONFIG.SYS
  (in case the AHA-1510 can't be detected properly until
  it has been initialised) makes no difference.
(?) CTCM and CMTU may not be the exact names, but that's just my memory :-)

Any suggestions? (Including where else I might post this query.)

-- Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> ICQ: 10120933