Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 14:37:53 -0400
At 10:46 AM 4/10/1998 John G. Cakars wrote:

>Packard Bell POS P75, Win95a, 56RAM
>POST shows that I have 0057344k RAM Passed.  System Properties shows
>56RAM.  My computer is configured as a network server.  Real Help, a
>Quarterdeck utility, shows that I have 23108K of 56764K Physical Memory
>available. It also shows that I have 1100096K of 1100096K of Virtual
>Memory available. This is when I finally get to Desktop.  If I open
>Netscape, Physical Memory drops to 0.

John:

First, change your performance settings from
a network server to a desktop PC.

Then, try these things one at a time (restoring the
feature if there is no change):

1. Set your CMOS memory timing to the slowest
        setting 555x333 and the highest refresh rate.
2. Turn off your L-2 memory cache.
3. Change your virtual memory setting to 64MB
        for both minimum and maximum.
4. Change your virtual memory setting to let
        Win95 handle it.
5. Swap drives for the virtual memory setting
        (after you defrag it).
6. Go into Netscape and set the cache settings for
        a very modest value.
7. Temporarily remove all programs in your Start Up folder
8. Remove any un-matched SIMMs

If none of these work, please advise if you have:
A. partitioning software (EZ-drive, Maxblast, etc)
B. replaced a hard drive (or have an old one)
C. memory cache (and how much)
D. overclocked your CPU
E. sufficient cooling in your case.
F. 3rd party memory managing software