From:
Steepers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 06:35:41 -0800

Hi Fellow Listservers,
  I posted a question re: do other celiacs in a family situation have their
own toasters. I had a mysterious onset of celiac symptoms and wondered
about this as I was using the communal toaster. Thank you for all the
is the result of the final tally.
   31 people are a 2 toaster family
   5 people stated they have a 4 slice toaster.....one side for gf use
exclusively
   10 people use a toaster oven.....where it is easier to wipe the rack
before use
    8 people use the communal toaster with no problems
   1 house hold went exclusively gf in the kitchen to avoid contamination
  Some interesting thought....The new wide mouthed toasters are more likely
to cause contamination as the wire rack actually grips the bread while the
older types don't and 'gravity' will alow the crumbs to fall to the tray on
the bottom. I think this was my problem as I had just recently purchased a
new fancy wide slot toaster! Putting a cover over the gf toaster sounded
like a good idea especially if you have alot of company. If the 2 toasters
are back to back........have the gf toaster in the back so crumbs don't
fall into the gf one. A toaster oven was used by lots and is convenient.
Bette Hagman's book recommends 2 toasters apparently in her book. And
finally lots of celiacs reminded me about crumbs in butter, jam, peanut
butter and honey. Most have their own containers.
  I also came across a few people that were amazed I had bread worth
toasting! After 9 years I finally have a recipe that works for me and has
made my life just a little easier. It was poster on this list maybe a year
ago and I thank that person again........I thank her each week while I make
it! It is made with 2 cups rice flour and 2 cups tapiaca starch. I will be
happy to send to any one having trouble making bread as I was. It is not a
bread making machine recipe tho....but is very easy.
   Another quick question. In Bette Hagman's book I notice a warning about
drywall paste. At the same time I was sick from the phanom......maybe
toaster......we were also renovating and my husband was taping and sanding.
I was the clean up crew. I don't have the bag to check the ingredients. Has
any one had an experience with this?
  Thanks again for all the support now and the last year.
                     Dianne in BC