From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 14:31:10 +0000

Thankyou to all who sent me recipes.  Sadly when I went to
try some out, the pumpkin had started to go off (it has
been so warm and humid here recently!)

Apologies for the long delay.  We have been having server
problems at the University and I had to print out a lot of
these recipes, then scan them in when the system was up
again.  Any "funnies" will be ones I missed from the
scanning process.

I have collated all the information I can, avoiding putting
any recipes which might not comply with the rules of our
list on this compilation.

Because it is so imprecise, I now ignore all recipes with
dry materials measured in cups.  Those that were sent to me
in this measure form are not on this compilation.

For our continental friends 1 oz is about 25 g
                                       1 lb  is about 450 g
the calculation of farenheit to centigrade is subtract 32,
divide by 9 and multiply by 5 (400 F is about 200 C)

Here's the Curried Pumpkin Soup recipe adapted from
~Food&Wine_ magazine, November 1997.  Good luck.

9 lbs. sugar pumpkins, halved lengthwise, or cut into large
pieces 2 TB acceptable vegetable oil (1 like toasted
sesame) 5 pears -- peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch
chunks 3 large Spanish onions, sliced 15 garlic cloves,
chopped 4 TB hot homemade curry powder 2 minced fresh
chillies salt and freshly ground pepper 4 qts. homemade
chicken or vegetable broth l+112 cups dry white wine 1 cup
heavy cream Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the
halved or large pumpkin pieces on 2 rimmed baking sheets
and add 112 cup water on each sheet.  The pumpkin should be
skin side up.  Bake for about l+112 hours, or until tender.
When cool enough to handle, discard the seeds and peel the
pumpkin. Heat the oil in a large heavy stock pot.  Add the
pears, onions, garlic, curry powder, chillies, and a large
pinch each of salt and pepper.  Cook over moderate heat,
stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender. Add the
cooked pumpkins, stock, and wine and bring to a boil over
high heat.  Stir well, reduce the heat to moderate and
simmer for 45 minutes.  Remove from the heat and let cool
for 5 minutes. Working in batches, puree the soup in a
blender or food processor until smooth; transfer to a clean
saucepan and season with salt and pepper. (if you aren't
feeding 12 people, at this point, portion out the soup and
freeze or can it.) To serve, reheat the soup, ladle into
shallow bowls and swirl in the heavy cream as a garnish.
Chopped fresh coriander/cilantro is also nice on top.  The
original recipe, from Hammersley's Bistro in Boston, MA
garnishes the soup with a homemade pappadum wafer, but that
recipe contained gluten.  The soup is good on its own; if
you have a pappadum recipe or gf pappadum available, cut
the pappadum into wedgesand fry them as a nice crisp
accompaniment. I hope you enjoy this recipe.  I do love
pumpkins and winter squashes of all kinds, so I'm pretty
picky about the type.  I have also used red kuri squash,
butternut, acorn, and, even, Hubbard successfully in
pumpkin soup recipes.

I know this may not be exactly what you are looking for
but, we too had an abundance of pumpkin this past fall.
Also any recipe you have for Quick Breads calling for
apples, zuchccini, even bananas you can substitute either
diced pumpkin or pureed pumpkin, toss in the nuts or
whatever else your recipe calls for.

Hi David, here's a flavorful pumpkin soup recipe.  As
you'll see, the measures are mostly in pieces...   i don't
remember them exactly myself.

Pumpkin soup

4 lbs pumpkin
3 large carrots
3-4 medium sized tomatoes 1 large or two medium onions 50 g
butter 3 tablespoons fresh dill finely chopped sour cream
salt, pepper Cut (edible part of) pumpkin in 1" cubes,
carrots into 112" slices.  Put both in a large pot and
cover with water.  The original recipe called for the water
to be 2 cm deep above the pumpkin, but the pumpkin will
float, so do what you can.  Bring to a boil and simmer for
-40 minutes, or until the pumpkin is soft. In the meantime,
chop the onions, peel and chop the tomatoes.  Melt the
butter in a deep pan and sautee the onions until they turn
translucent.  Add the tomatoes and sautee briefly. When the
pumpkin is soft, add the onion-tomato mix, transfer to a
blender and puree.  Pour back into pot, reheat gently, add
the dill and salt and pepper to taste.  Serve with a dollop
of sour cream (or Creme Fraiche, if you can get that) in
each bowl. Enjoy!

Part of the issue to consider with flavor is what kind of
pumpkin did you grow?  Is it a sugar or pie pumpkin, which
produces denser, sweeter "meat"?  Standard Jack O'Lantern
pumpkins are largely inedible because they are so fibrous
and watery.  Then there is the pumpkin that runs in between
and is best treated as a winter squash. Thus, if the
pumpkin is not sugar/pie pumpkin, no matter how tasty the
recipe, if it is watered down pumpkin flavor, there will be
less flavor.  I sent out a pumpkin bread recipe that uses
14 ounces of pie pumpkin, cooked, earlier this week. Pie
pumpkins may also be cooked down into a "pumpkin butter"
like applesauce, with lots of grated ginger, cinnamon, and
allspice cooked in with the pumpkin.  Pie pumpkins may also
be cooked into pumpkin chutney, where the spices are hotter
or more complex, depending on your preference.

I don't have a recipe for pumpkin but...

To flavor pumpkin, use the following spices: mace, nutmeg,
cloves, ginger, and/or cinnamon.  The first four are
especially delicious mixed into your cooked pumpkin.  Those
are the favorite spices for pumpkin pie.

You can use pumpkin for pudding as well.  Same spices.

You can boil your pumpkin until tender (or cook cut pieces
in the microwave until soft), scoop out the meat (that's
the pumpkin between the shell outside and the seeds
inside), mash it up, spice it up with the above spices to
taste - salt too - and serve as a vegetable.  Some people
add butter as well.

You can make pudding with pumpkin.  Use a GF pudding recipe
and dump in a cup or so of cooked pumpkin AND some or all
of the above spices for flavoring.

You can use pumpkin to make GF pumpkin bread or pumpkin
muffins.  See your favorite GF baking book for appropriate
recipes.

Have fun.  Pumpkin is very good for you nutrionally.  Baked
or boiled or microwaved and seasoned and served as a side
dish, it is absolutely wonderful as well as healthy and
colorful.  Pumpkin is a squash.  We generally put nutmeg
and butter and salt on it when serving it as a side dish,
but that's because I'm too lazy to get out the mace and
ginger as well.  Those three are my favorites for flavoring
pumpkin.

David, try making pumpkin pie with out crust but put it in
custard cups or pie dishes. We found on fresh, if you cut
it in half or quarters clean it out turn it upside down on
a cookie sheet and bake it till it just collapses and spoon
out, add you pie ingredients then mix, and then blend it
with a blender till very smooth it will be lite as air and
very tasty. Have fun.

I've never had much luck with pumpkin either,
except for the obvious--the seeds.  Toasting them in the
oven and salting them lightly makes a delicious snack.  I
also sometimes use chunks of fresh pumpkin in stews, though
I don't have a recipe for this.

The best recipe I know is pumpkin risotto; cook some chunks
in the oven with some soy sauce (or water), in pan covered
with aluminum foil; mash and add finely chopped nuts+thyme,
in pan with oil to reheat, add to rice (cooked with some
onion/leeks) adapted from the weekend FT

Pumpkin & other squashes figure prominently in native
American cooking.  I am not sure of the availability of
these ingredients in the UK, but otherwise here's an easy
recipe....

Pumpkin Stew

Cut up some of the pumpkin in cubes.  Add approximately
equal portions (or adjust to your tastes or availability)
posole (also called hominy: could substitute corn kernals)
and cooked beans (pintos, red beans, etc).  Add water to
cook pumpkin, etc.  Season with chili powder, onion.  You
can also add canned tomatoes, garlic, meat, etc.  It's sort
of like chili.

Well I have also ended up with a huge pumpkin. I used up
the small ones and have left this one for last!
Here are some of the things I do with fresh pumpkin. First
of all I take out the seeds, (no need to wash them) add a
little oil and sprinkle with salt and bake on a cookie
sheet 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until light brown.
Makes a great snack. Next I cut up the pumpkin peal and cut
into cubes, place in 1 gal. zip lock bags and freeze for
future use. Pumpkin Soup
In a large pot,  Saute 1 chopped onion and 2 cloves garlic
in 1 tablespoon oil. Add 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1 tsp
ground mace, 1 tsp cinnamon. Fill pot with pumpkin squares
(or as much as you want to make) fill with chicken broth or
water to barely cover pumpkin. Cook 20-30 min. or until
pumpkin is tender. Blend with hand blender in pot, or use a
potato masher. Add 1 small can eveporated milk.( or soy or
other milk) and salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Pumpkin lentil Soup Same as above only add 1/2 cup lentils
and 1-2 pealed and chopped potatoes. For variety may also
add 1 large can chopped tomatoes, and use basil instead of
curry, mace and cinnamon. I also add the pumpkin squares to
soups and stews You can also make pumpkin butter (like
apple butter) in jars and give to friends as gifts.
I also steam the pumpkin and serve with butter and salt and
pepper as a vegetable (can be done in the microwave with
just a little water). Hope you have fun with the above.

I hope this will be of interest to you all out there.  Next
year we may DELIBERATELY grow a pumpkin (then I'll have an
idea what type it is) and try out some of the above.

Thankyou all again

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Protection Adviser
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209