From:
Sharon Brucato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 16:01:50 -0700

Dear, dear Celiac List,

Do I need to find a new gastroenterologist?  I was blown away by one with a
less-than-poor bedside manner and a theory I just can't digest.

This doctor won't give credence to the possibility of celiac disease.
Instead, she thinks my two-year-old son is allergic to gluten, not
experiencing an autoimmune, celiac reaction to gluten.  What I don't
understand is that my son has already received two full panels of allergy
tests which showed he's allergic to nothing, which is clearly not true.

When my son ingests gluten, he vomits, has severe diarrhea for days, itches
to the point he can't sleep (dermatitis herpetiformis which tested
positive), and is relieved of all these symptoms when he's gluten free
(plus dairy, egg, corn, sulfites/sulfates and iodine).  Sounds like celiac
disease to me, and sounds like I should not change his diet.  But should I
change doctors?

This doctor agreed to blood and bowel testing on my son, which was my
objective.  I fear she could interpret the results toward her allergy
theory if the gluten-sensitive blood tests come back negative, as they did
when my son was one year old. I see no point in retesting for allergies!

What to do? Many thanks!

Sharon
Sunny Southern California (despite this doctor!)