From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:08:18 -0500

Hi, all,

A clear, nicely written 2-page article on CD is in the
March/April issue of *The Diabetic Advisor* published by
the American Diabetic Association. It's on pages 18-19,
and is titled "The Mysterious Celiac Sprue." It gives a basic
description of CD and it's links to Type 1 diabetes, and
outlines the gf diet and some of its common pitfalls in the
supermarket. The article states that CD is much more
common than once believed, mentions some of the
current research, and states that some doctors now are
recommending that all Type 1 diabetics be screened for
CD. In layman's terms, it describes the blood tests and
biopsy findings for CD diagnosis, and lists the most
common currently recognized symptoms and risks of
untreated CD.

I don't know how widely distributed this publication is,
but the ADA is a national group, and I think it's great
that they are interested in increasing awareness of CD.
My mother (a Type 2 diabetic) was given her copy by her
visiting nurse, and showed it to me. It certainly increased
her awareness of why I'm on this diet!

BTW, she has tested negative for CD, and her bone
density is normal (although she does have the classic
dowager hump, and a history of several broken bones).
Now, if I could get my Dad tested....He says he sees enough
doctors already, poor guy.

Good luck and good health!
Bobbi in Baltimore