From:
goalieootttaA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:10:19 -0700

Hi Listmates,

I am including 'and other allergens' in this question because in my
prior question about allergic responses in addition to gluten, there seem
to be a lot of us dealing with these additional difficulties that are
be exacerbated by gluten intolerance/intake.

The question is this:

I have noticed recently that after a lengthy time of being GF, I am
getting severe panic attacks, sometimes accompanied by vivid dreams, that
strike about 3 hours after I go to sleep (possibly coincidental with REM
sleep). I think there is no gluten in my diet (!)  but I am using
heinz vinegar and/or Hellman's Mayo (not the light variety) and/or
caffeine products on the day before this happens. I am considering
removing corn products out of my diet as well as gluten as I understand
that corn (from the summary I am compiling for allergens in addition to
gluten problems and how they manifest themselves). Is there anything else
in the vinegar and mayo that might cause this (caffeine is fairly obvious
and predictable in it's effects). Could it be the acidity, the corn, other
ingredients in the vinegar or mayo? Can you let me know how severe your
attackes are, how immediate and how lengthy and if you have found a way to
shorten them or lessen them if accidental ingestion of a trigger occurs?

Could you also tell me if you get panic attacks from gluten, how long they
takes to kick in and how long they last? I'm talking about pretty severe
attacks, not that depressed-irritable feeling from gluten ingestion (I get
that too but this is much different).

*Any more allergen info is appreciated. I didn't realise it was such a
concern to so many of us on this group and causing a lot of problems
still, after a person has been GF for some time. I'll hang onto the
summary for a bit as many people are very interested in the outcome and
there is a lot of detailed mail coming in on that topic!

Thanks,
Lissy