From:
Katie Bretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 09:57:48 -0700

I don't think we ought to condemn the Rice Dream people too hard.  OK,
maybe they were slow to respond, but they did. How many other companies
have taken the question nearly as seriously? Probably not that many. How
are we to get them to take that last 5 mg seriously if the medical
establishment won't come out definitively on it? I think we should thank
them for the detailed and personal responses, and for getting their
technical people to focus on the question rather than just responding
legalisticly.  How many other companies are stepping forward to add the
label caution?

Personally, I think my feelings of disappointment with them have to do
with how much I like the stuff (love it) and wish I could drink it. I do
react to it, so that is out of the question. I was far more disappointed
to have to give up rice dream than any bread product.

I would caution people to study the question, think hard and use their
own judgement before accepting the idea that there is a "safe" level of
gluten exposure. The medical state of the art on celiac is pretty
primitive.  (Witness the continued survival of the barbaric "gluten
challenge".)  How can they say there is an increased risk of lymphoma
(presumably from chronic challenge to the immune system) and also say
there is a "safe" level of exposure?  I personally consider this
illogical and don't plan to risk my health on it.