Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 23:12:19 EDT

Hi Everyone!  I hope you had a good holiday!

For all the Kahlua lovers out there, there is no good news.  I have been
unable to come up with a definite answer.  Several people emailed me that
Kahlua is not gluten free but offered no confirmation.  I even searched the
ListServ archives and could not find anything definite.  However, the general
consensus is that Kahlua is Not GF.  Sorry!  And as you know by now, it is
better to be safe than sorry.

One of the nicest responses I received included recipes for homemade Kahlua.
I have not yet tried it, but here they are:

Kahlua

2 1/2 c sugar
12 tsp instant Yuban coffee (we use Tasters Choice instead)
1 QT water
3 c vodka
1 broken vanilla bean

Blend together and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.  Cool.  Add vanilla bean and
vodka.  Bottle.  Shake everyday for 3-4 weeks before serving.  Store in a
dark place or a brown paper bag until ready to serve.

KAHLUA

1 quart 100 proof vodka
5 cups coffee
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1.2 cups white sugar
2 vanilla beans

Bring to a simmer.  Bottle and set for 2 weeks.

I appreciate the response.  If I find out anything definite, I will post.

Regards,

Heather
Oklahoma City, OK
USA