From:
Russ Paden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 10:08:48 -0700

I searched the archives and saw questions similar to these several times,
but no answers posted to the questions! So I'm going to ask them again, and
I will summarize the responses.

First about me: I have not yet been diagnosed CD; I'm waiting to see the
gastroenterologist. I am still ingesting gluten in anticipation of the
tests. I have never to my recollection had a problem with skin rashes,
except one bout with hives several years ago, origin unknown.

But just about 5 days ago I noticed a bumpy rash on my inside right wrist.
Next day it was on my fingers also, and the inside left elbow. Then my
scalp and ears started itching. I have had a few bumps on my hairline,
behind ears, on back of neck, but mostly it's just itching on my head and
ears. Also itching on my knees and elbows and even my face (cheeks and
around nose and upper lip, even eyelids and eyebrows), with just a couple
of bumps or no bumps in those areas. A few of the bumps looked like
blisters, but none have broken open or oozed or bled.

The rash is not perfectly symmetrical - right wrist and hand, left inside
elbow. But the itching itself is pretty symmetrical. Also, it's not a
burning itch or particularly intense, but it is definitely and persistently
itchy.

Now the questions:

1. Does it sound like this could be DH?

2. Are there mild cases, or does it start mildly for some people before
getting worse?

3. How long do DH outbreaks usually last?

4. Is it common to have the itchiness without the rash or blisters?

5. If I have a skin biopsy and DH is confirmed, and I then skip the
internal biopsy, will that "count" as an official CD diagnosis (for tax
purposes, etc.)?

6. Do I have to have a rash showing at the time of the skin biopsy?

7. Is the skin biopsy a more straightforward diagnosis than the intestinal
biopsy? By that I mean, I've heard that the intestinal biopsy can be tricky
to read and requires a skilled lab; is the same true for skin biopsies?

8. Does a dermatologist have to do the biopsy or can a regular doc do it
and send it to the dermatology lab?

9. What else do I need to know before going in to the dermatologist?

Thanks,
Carma in Phoenix (US)