From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 08:22:51 -0400

Dear List:
I am addressing this to the List because there have been several
postings recently re Wasa GF cornbread, and pricing.  I challenged the
retailer, both locally, and at headquarters, about the sudden rise in
price from  $3.79 to $4.79--a bit high for such a product, and an
alarming rate of price increase!  No reply.
I wrote to the Liberty Richter people at  400 Lyster Ave., Saddle Brook,
NJ   07663-5910.  Tel: 201-843-8900.  This is the reply:

"Thank you for writing to us recently  about your concern with the
retail price of WASA Gluten&Wheat Free Corn Crispbread.

The higher cost of producing this product comes mainly from the fact
that extensive cleanup operation are necessary before each production
run, to prevent contemination by even the slightest quantity of gluten.
As a person with celiac spruce[sic] disease, you will no doubt
appreciate the importance and necessity of these precautions.

The original price of $3.79 at D'Agostino's must have been an
introductory promotional price.   In most retail stores prices vary
between $4.79 and $4.99.      Actually, as you probably know, we as
importers have no influence on the retail prices charged in the stores
and legally cannot dictate them.

In appreciation of your writing to us, we are enclosing four $1.50 WASA
coupons with our compliments. These are redeemable at any store stocking
WASA products.

Thanks you for bringing this matter to our attention and hoping that we
can count on your understanding of the circumstances, we remain,

Sincerely  yours,
Charles A. Lawner
Quality Assurance Consultant"

I, personally, think the price is outrageous.
Nancy in nyc