From:
Carol Fonken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:32:39 -0500

Thanks to all the list members who sent encouraging responses to my earlier
 posts on this topic.  Ultimately, I guess I would have to throw my hat in
 with Tracey, who states:

        it seems to me that the less contentious way out -- and maybe
        easier in the long haul -- is to not necessarily reach an agreement
        about oats or quinoa  ... but to mandate that food companies stop
        the annoying "and other natural ingredients" practice ... that companies
        should be required to label precisely what goes into their products,
        period.

Tracey's suggestion makes sense.  If a product contains "modified food
 starch", for example, state the source of the starch  If we know exactly
 what is in each product then we are each free to make our own decisions
 regarding whether or not those ingredients are safe for us.

Of course, there is still the issue of information provided by the celiac
 organizations about SAFE and UNSAFE ingredients.  How about including
 distilled vinegar, quinoa, etc. in the QUESTIONABLE category and again
 letting people decide for themselves?

This has been an interesting discussion and I appreciate the thought that
 listmembers have put into the responses I've received and the posts to the
 list I've seen.

Carol Fonken
Austin, Texas