Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 9 May 1998 07:18:04 -0400
From:

On a recent Celiac list, Lynn ([log in to unmask]) said:

>   AS a result of a previous post about a gluten-free list from this company,
>I called to request one. They stated they've been getting many such requests
>recently, but DO NOT print such a list, due to contractors changing products.
>If you have one specific item in question you can call and have that checked,
>but no other info will be given by them; their rational being if they stated
>allergic contents for everything there'd be no room on the label.

Your mileage may vary, but to me, this states that Mc Cormick/Schilling
spices are unreliable.  If they cannot guarantee that, say, their pepper is
gluten free from supplier to supplier, then we as consumers have no idea
what we are getting out there on the spice rack in the supermarket.  Even
if spice X is gluten free _now_ there is no guarantee that the contractor
six months ago was gluten free.  That makes them all suspect, in my opinion.

(Personally, I've found the best results in buying whole spices and
grinding them myself.  We still have problems on occasion but many fewer)

Peace,
Nathan
-------