Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 11:45:01 -0600
From:
terry croteau <[log in to unmask]>

Well I have learned a lot about Vinegar and how different countries have
different guidelines for  gluten content!!
Canada.. Celiac Ass. declares all vinegar to be "safe" at least in
Edmonton, AB
Sweden also allows vinegar and by products.
US seems to be the most cautious... even with products that have trace
amounts of gluten.

I will try make summary brief as I received a ton of responses! Thanks
everyone!!!

The overall consensus is white/clear vinegars are probably derived from
distilled grains. Probability of gluten is high! AVOID

Rice/wine/cider and "some Balsamic vinegars are most likely GF.
Some balsamic vinegars may contain gluten, read your label as always!!

*There is controversy/debate over the actual process of "distillation"
whether gluten is erraticated or not, apparently a toxic component of gluten
may remain in trace amounts. *

Once again you must "know" the source to be sure.

Ketchup/catsup, mustard,mayo ,pickels, relish may have vinegar that contains
gluten. (many others)
Some products may use a gf vinegar as well as one that is NOT gf.

Hellmanns mayo reg.(Best Foods) and EnerG mayo are gf.
Mayo can be made quite easily BUT be cautious regarding Samonella !!
Ketchup/catsup can also be made with pure tomato paste and gf vinegar.

* Be very careful when dining out and ordering anything with
mayonaisse/dressing and such!!! Also be wary of vinegars that say "flavored"
or "herbed"

* Regulations/health guidelines* labeling  in regards to  "Gluten"  does
vary from country to country and each person should be aware of this so they
do not accidently "unknowingly" ingest gluten., especially those who are
very sensitive!!

I think the "vinegar" issue is an interesting one ... one that  needs  more
discussion , especially where I live!!!!
Thank you all!
Have a great GF day!!!!!
Debi, Alberta Canada