Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:56:12 +0000
        Hi.
        If indeed the Dallas is bad, you can buy a new one, desolder the
old one, and solder on the new one; all of this carefully done.
        Surely no one in PB knows how to solder, since being labor cost
prohibitive, no one would have learnt to do it.

> My original submission on my problem with system time losing time relative
> to reference provided some informative responses.  I was using Atom Time to
> update so I investigated information on the CMOS battery, and found out it
> is  a "Dallas DS 12887 real time clock and CMOS battery integrated into the
> RTC chip" and sells for $19.95.
>
> So I sent an email to Packard Bell asking how to correct the problem and
> received this terse reply:
>
> "The battery is not replaceable."
>
> Not completely believing I would be so lucky as to have an irreplaceable
> battery, but interpreting the terseness of the PB response as being the
> extent of the advice I will obtain from them, I turn to anyone with
> experience to explain why the CMOS battery is not replaceable.  It can't be
> that efficient, or otherwise I wouldn't be loosing time. Is it so embedded
> in the circuit that if it does malfunction, one discards the motherboard or
> a large component?  Is this an unusual problem?
>
> TIA
>
> John Penasack

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]
  Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
  Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
  Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)