From:
Jerry Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:13:34 -0400
To all you vets with ailing mice:

Not all mice use infrared to sense movement.  Some use tiny electrical
contacts that press against spoked wheels.  One wheel turns in response to
verticle movement, the other to horizontal movement.  Each wheel has two
contacts pressed against it, slightly offset from each other to determine
the rotational direction of the wheel.  The surfaces of these wheel spokes
and the contacts can pickup lint and other contaminants.  I have used an
electrical contact cleaner and compressed air to clean up the mess.
However, over time, the contacts wear down and suffer from microscopic
corrosion.  Bending the ccontacts to increase pressure on the wheels
provides temporary releif.  But once this process begins, it is time to
search for a new pointing device, mouse or otherwise.

Jerry Rasmussen

--
CIRQUESIG32100o