From:
LIFE F0RCE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 17:34:22 EDT
Todd:
<<... although supplements may be "thought to be unnecessary," there is room
for reasonable doubt as to whether a supermarket-paleo diet of cooked foods
does
in fact supply adequate micronutrients.  >>

This was my line of thought when I made the suggestions for modifications to
the Paleo diet. I would like to apologize for having offended some
listmembers, though!!

<< If we were eating just-picked vegetables and just-killed raw meats, it
might be
possible to say with more confidence that we are getting all the
micronutrients we need. >>

Given the fact that our soils are pretty well depleted of their mineral
content, it is probably difficult to find either plant or animal that will
provide the nutrients that they would have in paleo times, even under the best
of conditions.

<< But most of us are nowhere near this level of compliance, so supplements
are a live option of support for this diet. >>

The issue of compliance is a separate and difficult problem.

I don't want to offend anyone who wants to keep the discussions on the topic
of paleo eating. I do see some benefit, however, to an open discussion of the
realities of what this diet means for people of our time, living in our world
as it is today. Since we are different human beings than our paleo ancestors,
and in my opinion, since every individual has his or her own totally unique
genetic heritage, and most importantly because biology in general is
infinately complex, I feel it always makes the most sense to consider as many
factors as possible when trying to refine one's own uniquely special diet.

When I am learning about something, for me personally it is always beneficial
to hear as many opinions and views and get as broad a picture as possible on
the subject, to be able to make the most informed decisions. I guess I would
assume that the new people would read everything, consider all the various
factors, read the archives, listen to all the opposing views and debates, and
learn that way.

HOWEVER ...... I have no agenda here!! To John and others who made comments
about staying with the strict paleo dietary rules, you needn't think that I
have any interest in changing the focus of this list - I don't. I won't raise
this thread again, unless it seems appropriate. I just thought it might be
helpful to explain my thinking a little.

Love, Liza

[log in to unmask] (Liza May)