From:
Liz Pavek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 12:57:44 -0600
Todd:

Here's another slant that I've  been considering, too.  As soon as a
protein- and calorie-deprived dieter turns to a plan that provides a
consistent supply of sufficient calories, the deprived body premempts
almost all of the new nutrition in an attempt to replace lost muscle
tissue.  As soon as this process is completed, the individual will again be
able to lose weight, provided the caloric intake is high enough to prevent
the body returning to "starvation mode."  There is, as you say, a small
window of caloric deficit in which the body can expend excess calories in
heat and energy before storing calories as fat.  This, of course, is
speculation on my part, considering what I have learned and gleanded from
study and the input of the members of the two lists I read.

What do you think?
Liz