VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 03:55:05 -0500
Be sure to read all the way to the end.  He wanted to get a paper route to
save money for a talking computer.  There is no better testament to the
importance many blind people place on accessing information independently
than this.

kelly

The Blind Paperboy

Adam uses Braille map for rounds.

By Lisa Adlam.  The Daily Mirror (UK)  Tuesday 29th August 2000

Plucky Adam Grey has his own paper round - even though he is blind.

Using a braile map and counting fence posts Adam 13 delivers evening papers
to 44 houses near his home.

He can tell where he is by the sound of gravel on a drive or by the type of
gate he opens.

And yesterday he said: It doesn't take me any longer than anyone else,
really, usually about 45 minutes.

I really enjoy it and it makes me feel independent like my mates.  I don't
want to be seen as anyone different.

Adam fixed up the job with newsagent Peter Hudson who switched other boys
rounds so the youngster could work just one straight road.

Proud mum Jackie gave her blessing so did local departments of education,
welfare and environmental health.

Adan, who uses a white stick has been blind since birth.  he says it does
not worry him as 'I don't know any different'.

Now he has completed his first week of delivering papers alone after
spending two weeks learning the the ropes with another lad.

He said: I've lived on this road for six years so people here know me.

If I do put a paper through the wrong letterbox, they can just pop it next
door.  But I don't think I'll be getting it wrong.

None of my mates know about it yet, although soe people's parents have seen
me and congratulated me.

I'll probably get a bit of ribbing about it, but not much.  I think with
doing a paper round they'll just treat me as normal.

Adam of Cleethorpes, North Lincs believes he may be the only blind paperboy
in the country.  he said: I'd like to be an example to other blind teenagers
so they they can get a paper round if they want.

But this wouldn't have been possible without Mr. Hudson. He has been very
kind.

Jackie, 36, said: When Adam came back and said he was going to start a paper
round, I was pleased for him.

But I think even he was a bit doubtful.  We were all thinking 'How will he
do it?'

However he's sticking at it and doing OK and I'm really chuffed for him.
I'm open to Adam trying anything and having ago at what he wants to do.  but
we'll wait and see what he thinks about it when, like any other kid he has
to do it in the winter.

Mr. Hudson insisted he was not treating Adam any differently from his other
youngsters.

He said: We don't want to discriminate against the lad providing he can do
the job.  So far he's doing well.

He doesn't do it any slower or quicker than the othe boys ... and he gets
his leg pulled the same as everybody else.

Adam is already saving his weekly six pounds pay packet towards a special
voice computer.

he said I want a PC for the blind.  But they cost about two thousand pounds
so I've a lot of saving to do.