VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dino Cardamone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 22:26:07 -0400
Mark Senk wrote:

> The Electric Edge is the on-line version of the Disability Rag magazine.
> You can find it at http://www.iglou.com/why/edge/
> The current issue has a good article on assisted suicide and the
> disabled.  The following is a brief excerpt of  an article about the
> recent controversy over the FDR memorial.
>
> - Mark
>
> People often find it easier to be a result of the past
> than a cause of the future!
>
> excerpt from http://www.iglou.com/why/edge/
>
>    Was FDR great because he was disabled? Did disability forge his
>    character?
>
>    Should he be celebrated because we can look to him as a disabled man
>    who made good?
>
>    Is disability simply one aspect of a person, like hair color, or does
>    having a disability inform one's being on some essential level?
>
>    Replace "disability" in the sentences above with "woman," "gay,"
>    ''African American:" Society has heard these other debates. Do people
>    realize crips are now doing the same thing?
>
>    Are we a group that faces discrimination in the same way as
>    traditional minorities -- say, Blacks and Jews? Those of us who call
>    ourselves disability activists may think so. But a lot of people still
>    don't see it.
>
>    "I became a member of a minority group called the disabled,"
>    Presidential hopeful Bob Dole told a meeting of African-American
>    journalists in Nashville during the campaign last fall. ''And I gained
>    an understanding of hardship." He'd been advised the I'm
>    sensitive-because-I've -suffered message would play well to
>    minorities.
>
>    The advice was optimistic. More than one black journalist said Dole's
>    message was "a big stretch."

Hi Mark,

I have a HUGE favor to ask.

I loggen on earlier tonight and got 4 new messages.  But, my machine died before they
were completely loaded.  After I rebooted, they were gone from my disk as well as from
the ISP server.  I was wondering if it would be easy for you to resend the last 6 or 7
VICUG messages to me.  That way I could at least find what I missed, and I can also find
out how many messages might have come from senders, other than VICUG.

It will save me from having to contact a lot of other people.

But, if it's too big of a deal, don't worry about it.

Thanks!

Dino