VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:08:36 -0500
On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, LAMENDEZ wrote:

> How would the "televisor" concept differ from taking a friend, volunteer or
> paid reader/describer along?

In the case of using prisoners, they are not allowed to come along with
you. As for others, I don't have a stable of people who are at my disposal
to accompany me. Further, a televisor could be sitting in front of a bank
of screens and guide the person who needs help at any moment that he needs
it. Besides prisoners, people who are bound to home, bed or a wheelchair
might find that this is a great way of accompanying a blind person without
the requirement of mibility.

 One would still have to rely on the eyes of
> another without the immediacy or even warmth of personal contact.

Some personal warmth could come from a televisor, though being arm-in-arm
with a person could be nicer. If you have any people willing to escort me
at my will, please forward their numbers.

 Still, I > have to admit that I look forward to the development of
artificial > intelligence based technologies capable of generating
accurate description.
>  For me, one of the real challenges of being blind has been having to
> accept the necessity of relying on someone else's eyes to accomplish some
> tasks..

Now it sounds like you are willing to rely on someone else's eyes. With a
televisor, you would only be relying on his eyes and voice. He can keep
his body wherever is convenient for him.

Peter Seymour > ----------