VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
LAMENDEZ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:33:26 -0500
Windows accessibility has come a long way in the past couple of years.  I
recall that DOS accessibility evolved.  My first attempts at working with
speech and computers were often frustrated by access limitations.  Desk
Mate, a Tandy product, and First Choice, an early suite were less than
paragons of access.  But in time DOS became very speech friendly and I
trust that in a year or to Windows will reach the same level.  Though only
thing that seems fairly certain is that by the time Windows becomes truly
speech friendly, a new operating system will emerge to challenge the
ingenuity of screen reading soft ware developers.

----------
> From: Hawke <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Louisville, Ky.,Firm Makes Products,Promotes Ideas to Help
the Blind (fwd)
> Date: Tuesday, December 15, 1998 4:41 PM
>
> --------------D15B7E27D7A20D43DE765FCB
>
> Sam,
> what the hell is your problem?
> Obviously, you have enough eyesight to navigate in windows quite well.
> I, on the other hand, do not, and have had to learn a great many tricks
> get around the problem.
>
> MS-DOS had is uses 9I still have it here on my machine, right along side
> winblows and UNIX. Until now, I didn't have anything to say on the
subject.

> Until you can walk a mile in my moccassins, you have absolutely NO CLUE
> as to what you are talking about.
>
> Hawke
>
> Sam Troia wrote:
>
> > This report is abysmal and most obnoxious!  I am sick to death of blind
> > people like the person from APH mentioned in the article crying and
moaning
> > about how difficult Windows is for poor little blind people.  And they
also
> > complain that Windows lacks intuitiveness.  Well, I for one would like
> > know where the intuitiveness is in DOS?  Ok, I never found DOS
difficult
> > but I can assure you one hundred percent that Windows is a whole lot
easier
> > and a whole lot more intuitive.  These people who like to moan and cry
> > should get over it and grow up.
> >
> > At 04:26 PM 12/14/98 -0800, you wrote:
> > >Posted at 11:38 a.m. PST Monday, December 14, 1998
> > >------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > >Louisville, Ky., Firm Makes Products, Promotes Ideas to Help the Blind
> > >

> > >By Louise Taylor, Lexington Herald-Leader, Ky.
> > >Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News
> > --remainder snipped
> >
> > --Sam Troia
> > (Your Alternative Uncle Sam)
> > KHUM rules!
> >
> > VICUG-L is the Visually Impaired Computer User Group List.
> > To join or leave the list, send a message to
> > [log in to unmask]  In the body of the message, simply
type
> > "subscribe vicug-l" or "unsubscribe vicug-l" without the quotations.
> >  VICUG-L is archived on the World Wide Web at
> > http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/vicug-l.html
>
> --
> Visit my webpage (now located at http://www.users.uswest.net/~proudhawk )
>

> --------------D15B7E27D7A20D43DE765FCB

> Sam,
well.
tricks
> side
> subject.
CLUE
> I am sick to death of blind
> moaning
> And they also
would
> like to
> difficult
> easier
> and cry
Blind
simply
> type
href="http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/vicug-l.html">http://maelstrom.s
tjohns.edu/archives/vicug-l.html</a></blockquote>

HREF="http://www.users.uswest.net/~proudhawk">http://www.users.uswest.net/~p
roudhawk</A>