VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Seymour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 15:04:53 -0500
Thank you for the below article. More and more burdens ought to be shifted
to the tools, not to the users.

I have been accused of laziness when I complain of the difficulties of
learning how to use new programs, tools and systems. The fact is that some
people are more patient or have a greater aptitude for computers and the
like. Still, others have the advantages of being able to point and click
on icons, to use their intuition, or to rely on a good memory.

On the other hand, I have heard other voices with my complaint that
computers are not meeting us half way. It is important to applaud
solutions that put the burden on the tools, and to criticize the opposite.
I refuse to think of myself as the one who is lazy and inept, and the
software designer as the person who is some kind of genius who is always
right.

Peter Seymour