VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Zelvin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 08:23:11 -0400
Hi,

I thought that article was pretty good.  Two differences I would add for
the visually impaired user is to always double or at least add 50 per
cents to allow for access products which are only going to keep taking
more and more memory.   Also, if a person who is buying a larger monitor
can afford it and is using screen enlargement, they may want to do better
on resolution and some other factors. I don't know how the prices work
out  out for 17 inch monitors, but I was given some recommendations for a
monitor that only added about $70  to the cheapest price for a 15 inch
monitor to get good quality, that would be important for a low vision user:

1. while  .28mm dot pitch, as recommended in the article is ok, .26 is
better, and I got the decent price for one with a dot pitch of .25.

2. Check out the  viewable image: you don't want it to be more than an
inch below the the stated size.

3. look for resolutions that are 1280 by 1024 or greater.

4. Resolution speeds that are at least 60 mhz, 75 is better.

Also, to all of that, it is pretty easy to get both computers and
monitors with three year warranties.  No matter what anyone says about
most problems showing up in the first year, it is my experience that it
can be hard to distinguish between whether a problem is a screen reader
or other access software problem or something truely wrong with the
computer, and three years will give you the leeway to get it fixed if
something you have put up with turns out to be a problem with the
computer itself.

Lynn Zelvin