VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 09:36:51 -0500
from the New York times

   Technology - Circuits

      April 16, 1998

Internet Phone Calls, No Computer Necessary

      By SETH SCHIESEL

     M aking a phone call over the Internet used to be a challenge. For
     one thing, there was no phone involved.

     In 1995, for instance, Steve R. Frampton was helping to link a
     school system in Kingston, Ontario, to the Internet. Sometimes he
     tried to use the computer in his laboratory to call his girlfriend
     on her computer in Japan.

                                                          RELATED ARTICLE

                                   Shortcuts Around Long-Distance Charges

     "How the old way worked was both parties would have sound cards,
     and then the sound cards would be hooked up with a microphone and a
     speaker, and you would choose from a client software package," he
     recalled. "The configurations were very easy. The interfaces were
     really nice, but the quality was really bad. Basically it was
     either completely unintelligible or it sounded like you were
     talking in a toilet or something."

     Last fall, after trying three generations of modems, Frampton gave
     up and went back to paying about $1.50 a minute to talk over a
     conventional phone line.

     Today anyone can make an Internet phone call, with a telephone.

     Nora S. Spohr never goes near a computer when she makes
     long-distance calls. But her conversations still travel through
     cyberspace.

     "My phone bills used to be up to $500, $700," said Spohr, a leather
     merchant in Englewood, N.J., who often calls Florida, Europe and
     South America. But she recently started using prepaid phone cards
     from a New Jersey corporation called IDT, which routes many of its
     calls over the Internet rather than over traditional communications
     networks.

     With each call, people like Spohr and the companies that serve them
     are shaking up the telecommunications industry. They are beginning
     to usher in a time when computers will have to share cyberspace
     with other technologies, just as cars share the highway with
     motorcycles and trucks.

     On Friday, the Federal Communications Commission took the first
     step toward regulating Internet calls when it recommended that some
     cyberspace phone carriers pay the same fees paid by traditional
     phone companies. But for now, people like Spohr are relishing their
     low rates.

     "I used to pay like 89 cents a minute to Argentina because I had
     this urge to pick up the phone at any time and the phone companies
     have many different rates," she said, adding that IDT let her call
     Argentina for about 48 cents a minute at any time.

     "With the card, I just get to call whenever I feel like it," she
     said on a recent weekday. "I called Buenos Aires today because I
     forgot my uncle's birthday, and I don't have to worry. I don't want
     to be restricted to have to wait for Sunday or Saturday to get a
     good rate.

     "I find no problem with the quality, and it's not complicated at
     all," she added. "And by buying the cards, I'm limiting myself to
     around $100 or a little more a month."

   Different Paths to the Same Point

   [INLINE] When you make a telephone call a circuit is dedicated to the
   phone call and words move in sequence along the route.

   [INLINE] But when you make a call using the Internet, words, once
   translated into bits and bytes, move separately along the fastest
   possible route and then are reassembled in the correct order on the
   receiving end.

     The Internet has allowed people to talk to one another through
     their computers since the early 1990's, but the technology was
     complex and the sound quality dismal. Around 1996, companies began
     offering phone service that allowed people to use their computers
     to talk to other people who used telephones, but the sound quality
     was still poor.

     Howard Jonas, chairman of IDT, which started one of the first
     computer-to-phone services, said the first customers tended to come
     from the digitally adept. "In the beginning," he said, "it was
     like: 'Hey, Mom, you can't believe it. I'm calling you from
     Bangladesh, and it's only a dime a minute.' And Mom was like,
     'Whaddya say?'"

     But now companies are offering phone-to-phone long-distance service
     that routes calls over the Internet but keeps the sound quality
     close to that of a standard call.

     Standard calls still have the edge in quality over Internet calls.
     That is because a standard telephone call travels like a train down
     an empty track: Each conversation has its own set path, which
     occupies a certain amount of network space, regardless of whether
     the callers are actually speaking or not. An Internet call often
     travels like a train that has had its cars split up and sent down
     all sorts of different paths: the sound is translated into binary
     computer code, and bits of code travel different routes. When those
     pieces of code are put back together, they can remain a little
     jumbled (and the call is not as clear as it could be).

     As the oldest consumer electronics device, the phone has all the
     glamour of a long-serving handyman -- dutifully reliable, sometimes
     cranky, quietly indispensable.

     But that is changing. As Internet technology begins to transform
     the world of plain old telephone service (or POTS, in
     telecommunications jargon), the phone is taking the Internet out of
     the expensive computer boxes in which it has traditionally resided
     and making it useful for people who do not know a DOS prompt from a
     disk drive.

     In fact, the people who are using ordinary telephones to make calls
     though cyberspace -- a process called telephony (pronounced
     tel-EF-own-ee) -- may be the first people to use the Internet
     without using a computer. But they will not be the last.

     "We're going to see a massive amount of Internet use with
     appliances which have been Internet-enabled but which we don't
     think of as PC units," said Vinton G. Cerf, who co-designed the
     Internet in the late 1960's and is now a senior executive at MCI,
     the No. 2 long-distance telephone company. "Telephony is only one
     example of that. Videocassette recorders, televisions, washing
     machines, water heaters will all show up on the network for all
     kinds of reasons."

     In Cerf's vision, VCR's could sprout Internet connections so they
     could be programmed from home, or a water heater could step out
     into cyberspace so a local power company could turn it on when
     electricity was cheapest.

     The main reason that telephones are showing up on the network is
     cost. For people who live in major metropolitan areas of the United
     States, most calls can be made less expensively with a carrier that
     uses Internet technology.

   Less for More
   The cost of a 10-minute phone call from New York to Brisbane,
   Australia, on a weekday morning, using traditional and Internet phone
   services:
   Traditional Internet services
                            AT&T MCI IDT DELTA 3
   Standard plan $10.90 $10.89 $1.80 $3.60
   Reduced-rate plans $4.70 $4.50
   +$3 fee each month
   Source: The companies

     For instance, a host of companies are now offering a flat rate of
     around 5 cents a minute for calls anywhere in the United States at
     any time of day; the traditional phone companies' standard flat
     rate is 10 cents..

     The savings on international calls can be even more greater. U.S.A.
     Global Link, a private company that uses Internet technology to
     deliver international calls primarily outside the United States,
     says that its rates typically undercut those of traditional
     carriers by around 30 percent. The company is planning to begin
     selling service soon to United States consumers.

     Internet calls are cheaper than those over standard networks for
     two basic reasons. By splitting up the train cars (the pieces of
     information) that constitute a conversation, a carrier can often
     use its network more efficiently. On a standard telephone network,
     two people enjoying a moment of silence generally use as much of
     the system as a screaming match does.

     But during that moment of silence, a network using Internet
     technology would be sending parts of another conversation involving
     two other people. If the technology was working properly, the quiet
     of the first call would not be interrupted.

     More important, however, companies that transmit phone calls over
     the Internet are able to undercut the established carriers because
     Internet carriers often do not have to pay the fees mandated by
     national and international regulation.

     When AT&T, for instance, carries a call from Albany to Chicago, the
     company has to pay a total of about 4 cents a minute to Bell
     Atlantic, the local phone company in New York, and Ameritech, the
     local phone company in Illinois, for connecting the call. After
     paying those fees, AT&T still has to recoup its internal costs,
     raising the price of the call.

     In the Telecommunications Act of 1996, Congress exempted Internet
     companies from having to pay those fees to local phone companies in
     most cases because it was concerned that the Internet might not
     become a hit.

     Now that the Internet seems firmly established, the FCC has taken
     the first step to level the playing field when entrepreneurs use
     cyberspace to duplicate the traditional network's main function:
     connecting calls. That could make Internet calls more expensive.

     But the Internet's regulatory advantage remains strong for
     international calls because Internet companies are often able to
     avoid or reduce the huge fees, known as settlement rates, that some
     countries levy against calls to or from other nations. Some
     countries allow Internet traffic to cross their borders without
     special charges because they are seeking to increase access to
     cyberspace.

     "Internet telephony is bypassing the settlement process
     altogether," said C. Holland Taylor, chief executive of U.S.A.
     Global Link. "It allows you to treat voice, which has traditionally
     been very regulated, as a series of data packets transiting the
     globe as a nonregulated media."

     But the regulatory forces that allow Internet phone companies to
     undercut their larger, older competitors may not last for more than
     a few more years. Even before last week's FCC recommendation, the
     domestic access fees that traditional long-distance carriers must
     pay to local phone companies were decreasing, allowing the
     long-distance giants to lower their prices.

     In the international arena, agreements reached under the auspices
     of the World Trade Organization are intended to reduce the
     settlement fees that increase the price of standard cross-border
     calls. That would put more pressure on the Internet carriers.

     Even the proprietors of Internet telephony see their window
     closing. "My basic thought is, eventually it's going to die," said
     Jonas, chairman of IDT.

     If the market for basic phone calls over the Internet disappears in
     the next few years, the next step for the technologists and
     marketers may be to convince people like Ariella Levy that there is
     more to a phone call than talking.

     Levy, who recently graduated from the University of Pennsylvania,
     heard about IDT's Internet phone cards on the radio. She bought
     one, which she uses to make inexpensive long-distance calls to her
     friends.

     "It's just the same as a phone," she said. "You can't tell the
     difference. The only thing they can do to make a phone call better
     than it is is bring the person into the room."

     Jonas is looking to sell Internet phone calls in ways that
     traditional phone companies cannot match. He says video links may
     eventually prove popular, but he admits that he is stumped after
     that.

     Referring to a futuristic machine in Woody Allen's 1973 film
     "Sleeper" that enveloped its user and delivered sexual pleasure,
     Jonas said: "Frankly, I don't know what more people want from the
     phone. You can talk to people. You can see people. The next step is
     either 'Kirk, beam me up' or it's jump in the orgasmatron."

                 Copyright 1998 The New York Times Company