From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 08:43:34 -0500
At 07:08 PM 2/21/1998 Derek S Buchanan wrote:

>>On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 21:54:19 -0500 "Michael C. Bacsa"
>>
>>I recently upgraded an older Packard Bell Multi-Media PC and I want to
>>replace the 400Mg HD with a larger one but I don't know how large of a
>>drive . . . .
>
>Mike,
>        IF your version of Phoenix is 1.01, then it won't support any
>drives above 2.1 GB.  I have a friend that tried to upgrade those same
>computers for two different people.  The solution was to get a new Bios
>chip from Micro Firmware.  It was 79.00  (no shipping charges), and was
>delivered in two business days.  You have to give them your model number.
> (usually a series of numbers that begin with "8".)  If you need the
>number I can give it to you via private e-mail.

Mike:

If you wish to keep the system, Derek's advice is sound. You may
also consider a smart hard drive controller card. Or just buy the drive
and use EZ-drive or its cousins (ugh; but it will work).

I recommend that you do NOT spend any more money on components
(i.e., a BIOS) that can only be used in your Packard. You are better
served by investing in parts that can migrate to a Pentium system.

I would build a clone with all the parts you could salvage from the
the Packard (too bad the case is non-standard, and video, etc. is
build onto the proprietary motherboard). The same $79 for the BIOS
upgrade can buy a Pentium socket 7 motherboard (with a current
BIOS, and a L-2 cache -- your Packard likely does NOT have a L-2
cache, and that is another $25 to add it).

That is my humble opinion. Email me (privately) if you need to know
where to buy the components in Miami. Good luck.

Regards,

John Chin