From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 08:34:10 -0500
Terry L. Clark wrote:

> Hi Miguel,
>someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the CD driver
> normally be loaded in autoexec.bat rather than config.sys

Terry,

You are half right.  Usually Win95 can work with the CD using native
drivers.  SOME cds are unknown to Win95 and therefore need a DOS
level drived installed.

The DOS level driver is actually installed in two parts.  The specific
section of the driver comes from the manufacturer and is installed into
config.sys (TRICD.SYS in Miguel's case).  The second part comes
from MS DOS and is installed in the autoexec.bat file, this part is
called MSCDEX.EXE.  Both parts "talk" to each other via a special
device name (/D:MSCD001 in Miguel's case)  if this special name is
missing or spelled wrong then the two parts can't talk and you
don't get to use the CD.

--
Jim Meagher